To successfully combat food waste, many different players must work together in a coordinated way. The German Federal Environmental Protection Agency (known by its German abbreviation, UBA) wanted to get opinion leaders from the realms of politics, business, science, and civil society more involved in the effort. It commissioned Stakeholder Reporting along with the Wuppertal Institute and ifeu Heidelberg to design and organize a specialist forum on food waste. The aim was to identify the main levers for reducing food waste and thus provide guidance for the UBA’s future activities in this area.
We developed the event concept, prepared the expert forum, and moderated a workshop on how consumers can effectively prevent food waste. We also developed the idea of a solutions landscape. It was used in all of the workshops to provide an overview of the current situation and kick off result-oriented discussions.
- involve opinion leaders in a topic-specific way
- design workshop sessions with leading experts to explore the practicality of existing solutions and options
- prepare a results paper in consultation with participants to provide guidance to the Federal Environmental Protection Agency.
- promote mutual understanding between different stakeholders
- improve the applicability of research through dialogue between academics and practitioners.